• How are natural resource funds and financiers interpreting the changing risk return profile of the mining sector? Is it all down to commodity positioning?
• Views on key macro drivers impacitng capital flows into the industry this year: global pandemic fallout; trade deal “phase one”; Eurozone slowdown
• With limited equity capital available and credit very expensive for juniors, how is the capital formation journey evolving? Where will the risk capital come from in the near to mid-term?
• Capital discipline versus growth – can miners focus on developing new projects while continuing to attract investors through lower cost of capital? What do investors want to see in terms of company activity?
Cailey Barker, Director – Natural Resources, Blackrock
Henry Steel, Fund Manager, Odey Asset Management
• Suppply and demand fundamentals across metals markets
• Demand forecasts and strong commodity performers
• ESG evolving financial markets – where will capital flow from?
• Metals important for future technologies
• What are miners doing to address challenges – abatement, productivity, portfolio repositioning, accounting
Michael Widmar, Commodities Strategist, Bank of America
• Environmental, social and governance best practices are no longer niche – how is mining turning a corner to attract new sources of capital and co-investment from ESG mandated funds?
• How can miners justify their position in a wider portfolio? Clearer social purpose; human rights due diligence; provenance; minimising environmental impacts
• Where do ESG indices and funds get the data they base their investment decisions on? Issues with multiplication of standards
• Ensuring mining benefits from decarbonisation and tremendous infrastructure rebuild – how can mining better communicate it’s societal benefits to a new consumer base?
Julian Treger, CEO, Anglo Pacific
Kieran Laird,Partner – Public Law & Regulation Team, Gowling WLG
Alan Knight,General Manager Corporate Responsibility, ArcelorMittal
• What is the best approach to investing in the mining sector in the current market?
• To what extent is investor appetite for junior miners improving?
• How do investors identify value beyond metals price moves – which types of company are proving attractive and why?
• Key company metrics when considering when to invest
• How can juniors access the widest range of investors in a new climate for cleaner and socially conscious businesses?
• Public vs Private – motivations and risks for juniors of being listed vs taking a private route
• Importance of investment research in a post MIFID II world
Vera Ivanova, Investment Director,AMED Funds
David Street, Co-Founder & CEO, Tembo Capital