08:00 Registration and breakfast
08:50 Opening remarks
09:00 Mining investment leaders panel: Investor preferences and appetite at this stage in the mining cycle
• Headwinds and tailwinds: Key macro factors impacting the sector in 2020
• Where are we in the mining investment cycle and how do we prepare for the next 12 months?
• Impact of growing ESG standards on investor preferences
• Investor preferences – Do we want to see corporates reinvesting in further growth or focusing on investor returns?
Matt Griffin, Co-Portfolio Manager, Small Caps, AMP Capital
Rick Squire, Portfolio Manager, Acorn Capital
Hedley Widdup, Manager, Lion Selection Group
09:40 China; Economic response to recent challenges and outlook for metals demands
• Impact of China’s slowdown in the first half of 2020 – What are the resulting effects on China’s economy as well as the global economy?
• Shape of the recovery and where we see the markets going moving forward
• China’s stimulus response to Covid-19 – Where will they aim their money and how will this influence the metals and mining industry through 2021?
• Impact of the 2019 trade war
10:10 Mining company CEO briefings
11:10 Mine finance – Future sources of capital
• How are projects getting funded in this equity capital tight environment?
• Private funding vs public capital markets – What’s the future of mine finance?
• Role of majors in outsourcing exploration on juiors – Is this a growing market?
Jan Fuchter, Director, Corporate Sovereign & Project Finance, EFIC
Peter Rozenauers, Portfolio Manager, Orion Mine Finance
11:50 Mining company CEO briefings
12:50 Lunch and networking
14:00 Copper outlook
• Where do we see the price of copper moving in 2021?
• Copper’s role in global decarbonization and our electric future – How much is this pushing demand?
• Industrial action, smelter capacity, lack of new discoveries: Examining the potential for future supply side risks
14:30 Mining company CEO briefings
15:30 Nickel outlook
• Where do we expect the price of nickel to go later this year and into 2021?
• Impact of the lithium-ion supply chain on nickel demand and pricing
• Outlook for stainless steel production given the current economic climate
Angela Durrant, Principal Metals Research Analyst, Wood Mackenzie
16:10 Mining CEO presentations
17:00 Global decarbonization – Investing in the changing energy mix
• How are investors positioning themselves to take advantage of the global discourse on energy transition?
• Coal, oil & gas, hydrogen, nuclear, batteries, renewables – Investment
strategies for various stages of the energy transition
• The growing focus on the circular economy – Role of recycling, waste management, and how this plays into investment strategies
• Divestment of resources by corporates, banks, investors – Impacts on capital raising
17:40 Day one wrap-up and drinks reception